Steven Schutzer, MD
Steven Schutzer, MD is a physician-scientist who trained and was on the faculty at Cornell University Medical College, New York Hospital, and Rockefeller University, before joining New Jersey Medical School. His research has focused on the interface of the immune system and microbes. Particular areas of research interest are Lyme and Tick diseases, neuroimmunology, and immunology. Dr. Schutzer is board certified in Internal Medicine, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, and Clinical Laboratory Immunology.
Dr. Schutzer’s research is funded by the National Institutes of Health and other organizations.
- Schutzer SE, Keim P, Czerwinski K, Budowle B. Use of forensic methods under exigent circumstances without full validation. Sci Transl Med 2009;1:8cm7.
- Losada L, Ronning CM, DeShazer D, Woods D, Fedorova N, Kim HS, Shabalina SA, Pearson TR, Brinkac L, Tan P, Nandi T, Crabtree J, Badger J, Beckstrom-Sternberg S, Saqib M, Schutzer SE, Keim P, Nierman WC. Continuing evolution of Burkholderia mallei through genome reduction and large-scale rearrangements. Genome Biol Evol 2010;2:102-16
- Crowder CD, Matthews HE, Schutzer S, Rounds MA, Luft BJ, Nolte O, Campbell SR, Phillipson CA, Li F, Sampath R, Ecker DJ, Eshoo MW. Genotypic variation and mixtures of Lyme Borrelia in Ixodes ticks from North America and Europe. PLoS One 2010;5:e10650.
- Crowder CD, Rounds MA, Phillipson CA, Picuri JM, Matthews HE, Halverson J, Schutzer SE, Ecker DJ, Eshoo MW. Extraction of total nucleic acids from ticks for the detection of bacterial and viral pathogens. J Med Entomol 2010;47:89-94.
- Schutzer SE, Liu T, Natelson BH, Angel TE, Schepmoes AA, Purvine SO, Hixson KK, Lipton MS, Camp DG, Coyle PK, Smith RD, Bergquist J. Establishing the proteome of normal human cerebrospinal fluid. PLoS One 2010;5:e10980.
- Schutzer SE, Angel TA, Liu T, et al. Distinct Cerebrospinal Fluid Proteomes Differentiate Post-Treatment Lyme Disease from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome . PLoS One 2011;6:e17287
- Schutzer SE, Rounds MA, Natelson BH, Ecker DJ, Eshoo MW. Analysis of cerebrospinal fluid from chronic fatigue syndrome patients for multiple human ubiquitous viruses and xenotropic murine leukemia-related virus. Ann Neurol 2011;69:735-8.
- Casjens SR, Fraser-Liggett CM, Mongodin EF, Qiu WG, Dunn JJ, Luft BJ, Schutzer SE. Whole genome sequence of an unusual Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolate. J Bacteriol 2011;193:1489-90.
- Schutzer SE, Fraser-Liggett CM, Casjens SR, Qiu WG, Dunn JJ, Mongodin EF, Luft BJ. Whole-genome sequences of thirteen isolates of Borrelia burgdorferi. J Bacteriol 2011;193:1018-20.