Surgical Palliative Care
Three faculty members within the Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Dr. Anastasia Kunac, Dr. Anne Mosenthal, and Dr. Leslie Tyrie, are also board certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Below are a few publications representative of their work in the field:
Ethics and Geriatric Trauma – book chapter co-authored and published by Dr. Anastasia Kunac and Dr. Anne C. Mosenthal.
- Tyrie LS and Mosenthal, AC. (2012) Care of the Family in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. Anesthesiol Clin. 30(1), 37-46.
- Tyrie LS and Mosenthal, AC. (2011) Care of the Family in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. Surgical Clinics of North America. 91(2), 333-342.
- Tyrie LS, Mosenthal AC, Bryczkowski S, and Lamba S. Using Self-Reflection To Teach General Surgery Residents About End-Of-Life Care. Surgical Education Week 2014. Oral presentation. Chicago, IL. 11 April 2014.
- Bryczkowski, S, Tyrie LS, Lamba S and Mosenthal AC. ABC’s For breaking bad news following Trauma. Surgical Education Week 2014. Box-lunch presentation. Chicago, IL. 11 April 2014.
- Tyrie LS, Lamba S, Smith J, McVicker S, and Mosenthal AC. Interdisciplinary Family Meetings with Structured Debriefings are Effective to Educate Surgical Residents in Palliative Care Communication Skills. AAHPM Annual Assembly. Oral presentation. San Diego, CA. 14 March 2014.
- Tyrie LS, Livingston DH, Lamba S, and Mosenthal AC. Educating Surgical Residents In Palliative Care Communication Through Family Meetings and Use of Structured Debriefings.” Academic Surgical Congress. Oral presentation. New Orleans, LA. 5 Feb 2013.
Invited Speaker at International/National Meetings:
Ethics Colloquium: End-of-Life Issues for Surgical Patients, American College of Surgery Clinical Congress. Panel speaker. Washington, D.C. 8 October 2013.
- t-ACS (Trauma Bay – Acquiring Communication Skills): A curriculum to teach emergency medicine and surgery residents the procedure of ‘having a difficult conversation’ in a high-stakes environment
- Palliative Care Faculty Development Project
- Trauma Bay – Acquiring Skills in Communication (t-ASC) - Co-developed curriculum including SIM and TOSCE for breaking bad news and sudden death notification following trauma resuscitations for emergency medicine and surgery residents (2013 – 2014)
- Surgical ICU Palliative Care Resident Education - related curriculum for general surgery resident SICU rotation to teach palliative care and communication skills (2010 – 2012)
- Surgical ICU Palliative Care Fellowship Rotation - Developed two-week SICU Fellow Elective Rotation (2011 – 2012)