Faculty Development Programs at New Jersey Medical School
In Academic Year 2011-2012 thirty-four Faculty Development Sessions were presented:
The IAMSE Faculty Development Webcast Series on The Second Flexnerian Report: Implications, Applications and Expectations were presented to our faculty in the fall of 2011:
- 1910 and 2010: What’s with these Carnegie Reports on Medical Education, David Irby, September 1, 2011.
- Integration and Inquiry, Innovation and Improvement, Bridget O’Brien, September 8, 2011.
- Individualization, Catherine Lucey, September 15, 2011.
- Instituting and Using a Holistic Admissions Process, Marlene Ballejos, September, 22, 2011.
- Professional Identity Formation, Kelley Skeff, September 29, 2011.
A series of workshops on clinical teaching designed by the Stanford Faculty Development Center for Medical Teachers was conducted by Dr. Beth Alger for the Department of Medicine faculty on the following dates:
- Learning Climate, October 7, 2011
- Control of Session, October 21, 2011
- Communication of Goals, October 28, 2011
- Promoting Understanding and Retention, November 4, 2011
- Evaluation, November 18, 2011
- Feedback, December 2, 2011
- Promoting Self-Directed Learning, December 16, 2011
The IAMSE Faculty Development Webcast Series on Interprofessional Education in the Health Sciences was presented on the following dates:
- Learning Together to Practice Collaboratively: Some Principles for IPE and IPC, John Gilbert, January 12, 2012.
- Strategies and Competencies for Launching a Successful Program, Amy Blue, January 19, 2012
- Interprofessional Teams, Culture and Service Learning – An Interprofessional 1St year Experience for Students at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Susan Tappert and Diane R. Bridges, January 26, 2012.
- Interprofessional Healthcare Honors Colloquium, Andrea Pfeifle, February 2, 2012.
- Interprofessional Education at Case Western Reserve University: Curricular Challenges and Meaningful Work, Terry Wolpaw, Sharon, E. Milligan, Patricia W. Underwood, Kristin Z. Victoroff, February 9, 2012.
- IPE Experience in a Clinical Setting, Patricia McGettigan, February 16, 2012.
- Herding Cats: Development and Implementation of a Multi-phase Interprofessional Education Program, Susan Mackintosh, February 23, 2012.
- New Faculty Orientation January 31, 2012 – How to Become a Successful Medical Educator, Richard Feinberg; Feedback Workshop, Scott Compton.
- Moodle: History, Selection, & Implementation Plans, Anu Goyal, ITeS Manager, UMDNJ Instructional Technology and eLearning Solutions.. Presented at the Pre-clinical Curriculum Meeting on Feb 22, 2012 and the Clinical Curriculum Meeting on March 7, 2012.
- Review of the Microbiology Shelf Exam by members of the Faculty, February 28, 2012
- Inaugural Humanism Day Conference, Mark Nepo Keynote Speaker, March 14, 2012
- Two small group sessions are scheduled for the Faculty of the Disease, Therapeutics, Prevention and Therapeutics Course (DPPT) to be given by Richard Feinberg on: Objectives, Item Writing and Audience Response. February 22, 2012 and April 25, 2012.
- “Recognizing the Impaired Student”, Presented by Dr. Mark Chernin, Director of Student Wellness, Preclinical Curriculum Committee on March 28, 2012 and Clinical Curriculum Committee on April 4, 2012
- Faculty Development Seminar and workshop – Aviad Haramati, Georgetown University, April 17, 2012
The IAMSE Faculty Development Webcast Series on Promises and Challenges of Virtual learning Environment was presented on the following dates:
- Mar 6 12:00 pm ET: Strategies for Selecting A Learning Management System, Sarah Kim
- Mar 13 12:00 pm ET: Digital Content and Textbooks for a Tablet-based Medical Curriculum: A Review of the iMedEd Initiative at UC Irvine, Warren Wiechmann
- Mar 20 12:00 pm ET: WebOSCE: an online tool for remote encounters between learners and standardized patients for the practice, assessment, and remediation of clinical skills., Christof J Daetwyler and Dennis Novack
- Apr 3 12:00 pm ET: Copyright and Fair Use in terms of Social Media, Peter Anderson
- Apr 10 12:00 pm ET: Online Exams: Opportunities and Challenges, Edward Klatt
- Apr 24 12:00 pm ET: The AAMC Curriculum Inventory: A New Tool for Benchmarking and Educational Research, Terri Cameron
- Faculty Development Seminar and Workshop for Clinical Faculty – Kathy Schlecht, Lecturing for Learning, May 14 and 15, 2012
- Faculty Development Session; Integrating Communication and Palliative Care Related Competencies through the Medical School, Susan Block, May 18, 2012