Students with a documented disability seeking to apply for reasonable accommodations and/or disability services at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School must:
1. Complete the NJMS Requesting Accommodations form (below) in its entirety, stating specifically your reasonable accommodation need(s). When completing this form, please review the documentation guidelines identified on the Rutgers Office of Disability Services website: https://ods.rutgers.edu/students/documentation-guidelines
2. Give a copy of the relevant documentation request form(s) to your healthcare provider (below) so s/he can complete it. Your healthcare provider must follow documentation guidelines identified on the Rutgers Office of Disability Services website: https://ods.rutgers.edu/students/documentation-guidelines
These forms and supporting documentation must be returned directly to Dr. Sarah Karl, Asst. Dean for Student Affairs and Academic Development, at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, 185 S. Orange Ave., MSB B648, Newark, NJ 07103. Alternatively, this information may be faxed to: (973) 972-4109.
Upon receipt of your completed request form and receipt of the supporting documentation from your health care provider, you will be asked to meet with a member of the Office of Student Affairs to discuss your responses and request(s). Your request will then be reviewed by the School and the RBHS Accommodations Committee. Once the review is complete, you will receive a response in a timely manner with one of the following application statuses:
- Reasonable Accommodations Approved: when a student’s request for reasonable accommodations have been approved, the student will be notified.
- More Information Needed: when a student’s request for reasonable accommodations cannot be approved due to the fact that additional information is needed to substantiate the need for reasonable accommodations.
- Application Not Approved: when a student’s request for reasonable accommodations, as documented does not qualify him or her for the reasonable accommodations requested, the student will receive notice of the denial.
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and the Rutgers Office for Disability Services are committed to ensuring that all information regarding a student is maintained confidentially as required or permitted by law. Any information collected is used for the benefit of the student.
If you have any questions about the accommodations process, please contact Dr. Sarah Karl at (973) 972-5409 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Form to be completed by the student:
NJMS Request for Reasonable Accommodation(s) to Perform the Essential Functions for Admission, Matriculation and Program Completion
Form to be completed by the health care provider(s):
Documentation of a Psychological Disability
Medical Condition Documentation Form
Documentation of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder