Welcome to our Wellness webpage!!!
We at Rutgers NJMS Psychiatry Residency pride ourselves in being a very clinically diverse and academically challenging program but with an extremely supportive training program. We actively teach and help our residents cultivate a healthy and mindful approach to their wellbeing. Residency can be one of the most exciting and rewarding times in our life, but it comes with many challenges and requires many personal sacrifices. Finding a balance between education, patient care responsibilities and personal life is difficult. At our program, we make it a priority to help our residents find and live this balance. In order to do so, in addition to providing autonomy, support by peers and faculty which are all essential components of wellbeing, we have developed a unique wellness curriculum for our residents.
Our wellness program is designed to not only promote the wellbeing of our residents, but to train them to become leaders in physician and occupational wellness. The goal of our wellness program is to cultivate a healthy and mindful approach to our residents daily lives and to make continuous improvements at both the individual and organizational levels in ways that accommodate the interests of residents and do not become an unwelcome obligation.
Specifically, our program offers:
- Didactics designed to cultivate a mindful and wellbeing-based approach towards patient intervention
- Weekly wellness sessions chaired by a member of the Resident Wellness Committee
- Frequent catered lunches (not just bagels and coffee!) with built in time to socialize
- Regular cohort meetings with the program director to address issues and effect longitudinal change for continuous improvements of the program
- Spring and winder residency retreats
In addition, Rutgers NJMS offers:
- GME sponsored events like watercolor painting and yoga sessions
- Monthly interdepartmental social activities
- Access to state of the art athletic facilities like the Golden Dome Athletic Center
- Free unlimited counseling, substance use treatment, and pharmacotherapy from the Resident Wellness and Excellence Center
- 4 weeks of vacation and 4 personal days per year
- $500 per year of book money which may be spent on items such as an iPad or an iWatch
For more information on GME sponsored activities please visit their website.
Some Examples of Wellbeing Enhancing Activities
Residents annual dinner, 2018
Annual Spring retreat 2018
Work can be fun too!
Annual Spring retreat 2017
Yoga is much more fun when done outdoors!
Residents annual dinner, 2017
Weekly wellness sessions: Some yoga, some dancing, some bonding …
Socializing after work keeps us all healthy and happy …
Interdepartmental bowling party, 2017
Some work, Some fun-- Residents at Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA during APA Annual Meeting 2013
Trip to San Francisco would be incomplete without Fisherman's Wharf and Napa Valley trips !!!
Residents' Day Trip to Atlantic City...
When not much time, dining out would be good option to socialize.. !