With social distancing and limited face-to-face contact the Rutgers Health NJMS neurology residency is acutely aware of the need for maintaining wellness in this current environment.
Recreation Virtual Programs
to Local Supermarkets
That Deliver in
the Newark and Surrounding Area
General Wellness Benefits
- 4 weeks of vacation and 4 personal days per year
- $600 per year of educational allowance which may be spent on items such as a tablet or smartwatch
Mental Health Services
The Department of Neurology understands that mental health can often be neglected, yet it is critical to functioning as a successful clinician. By acknowledging this, the Rutgers NJMS community offers a variety of counseling services to assist anyone that may be struggling with their mental and emotional wellbeing.
The Resident Wellness and Excellence Center is a free, confidential counseling service provided by the Office of Graduate Medical Education to help all residents and their families deal effectively with stressors and pressure related to work, as well as personal issues that may affect resident well-being.
The Resident Wellness and Excellent Center provides:
- Free, unlimited confidential, focused individual, couples, and family counseling services
- Free unlimited access to pharmacotherapy, should it be necessary
- Assessment and referral for specialized substance abuse treatment
- Prevention oriented groups and workshops on relevant topics, e.g. stress management
- Training and consultation to peer support counselors, faculty, & staff.
At Rutgers NJMS, we recognize the importance of physical activity in not only maintaining health, but also relieving stress. New Jersey is home to a variety of great outdoor hiking, biking, and running trails including South Mountain Reservation just 15 minutes away from University Hospital. If you prefer indoor sports and fitness, there are a variety of gyms in and around Newark including the following:
Organizations and Events
One of the benefits of being a part of the Rutgers NJMS community is the vibrant diversity of interests, activities, and events that residents can explore. The NJMS Office of Student Affairs provides a variety of medical student run organizations that are welcome to residents joining as well! These organizations include cultural, athletic/recreational, and community oriented groups of passionate students and residents. For more information and a list of student led groups, please visit the Office of Student Affairs.
For more information on any of the topics mentioned, please visit the Office of Graduate Medical Education - Resident Wellness page.