header("Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"); ?>
Master's Programs: For some students, deciding whether to enter a clinical educational program or to commit to a lengthy Ph.D. program in biomedical Tuition and Fees sciences is often difficult and made with limited knowledge. Other students may be committed to a career in medicine or dentistry but have undergraduate Eligibility academic records that are inadequate for acceptance into professional school. In addition, some careers in health related professions, including in the Gen Degree Req pharmaceutical and biotech industries, may require further training beyond the bachelor's level. To meet the educational needs of these groups of students, who have designed two master's degree programs in biomedical sciences that have flexible curricula and build on the existing strengths of basic and clinical faculty in the New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) and Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM). Both degrees include a 2-credit laboratory rotation. An important feature of these degree programs is the ability to complete the program in one year, or to follow a less intense curriculum over 3-4 semesters or even longer on a part-time basis.
Spring - 11/1; Fall 6/30
Spring - 11/1; Fall 6/30
Note: Supporting documents that cannot be directly typed or uploaded onto the application portal (eg. transcripts, standardized scores and some references), please send them or have them sent to:
Graduate & Professional Admissions
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
56 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Master of Science in Biomedical Science (MS), which requires a 5-credit research thesis.
Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS), which is predominantly based on coursework.
Advantages of the GSBS-Newark Master's Programs
• Thesis-based MS degree, or non-thesis MBS degree (see below)
• Ability to switch between MS and MBS
• Complete degree in one year, or follow a less intense 3-4 semester program
• Opportunity to take medical or dental school courses with students from NJMS or RSDM (limited enrollment)
• Personal academic advising
• Courses taught by medical, dental and graduate faculty of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and by pharmaceutical company scientists
• Part-time enrollment available, with many evening courses in core subjects
• Can complete master's degree by transferring back up to 6 credits from subsequent medical or dental school enrollment (currently not supported by RSDM)
• Students obtain laboratory research experience with medical or dental school faculty
Specific Programs within the Master’s Degrees:
Medical Scholars: interest in medical school admission; includes specific advising and curriculum, the possibility to take courses with the students of NJMS, clinical advising, consultation with NJMS admissions, and the possibility of a guaranteed interview (minimum GPA of 3.6 after 20 credits and an MCAT score of at least 127 in each section)
Dental Scholars: interest in dental school admission; includes specific advising and curriculum, an Oral Biology Concentration, the possibility to take courses with the students of RSDM, consultation with RSDM admissions,
Biomedical Research Scholars: program and specific interest curriculum for other biomedical career interests, including pharmaceutical/biotech companies, doctoral research, etc.
Master’s students at the GSBS-Newark campus can obtain one of the following Concentrations by completing the curriculum indicated under the corresponding link.
© 2018, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
185 South Orange Avenue, Newark, New Jersey 07103