header("Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"); ?>
For some students, deciding whether to enter a clinical educational program or to commit to a lengthy Ph.D. program in biomedical sciences is often difficult and made with limited knowledge. Other students may be committed to a career in medicine or dentistry but have undergraduate academic records that are inadequate for acceptance into professional school. In addition, some careers in health related professions, including in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries, may require further training beyond the bachelor's level. To meet the educational needs of these groups of students, we have designed two Master's degree programs in biomedical sciences that have flexible curricula and build on the existing strengths of basic and clinical faculty in the New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) and Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM). Both degrees include a 2-credit laboratory rotation. An important feature of these degree programs is the ability to complete the program in one year, or to follow a less intense curriculum over 3-4 semesters or even longer on a part-time basis. Download the Master's programs brochure here.
Tracks within the Master’s Program
Advantages of belonging to a particular track include (1) specialized advising (2) eligibilty to request specialized courses (3) priority for volunterring opportunities
Academic Concentrations within the Master’s Program (optional)
Master’s students at the SGS-Newark Health Science Campus can obtain one of the following concentrations by completing the curriculum indicated under the corresponding link.
Advantages of the SGS-Newark Health Science Campus Master's Programs
• Thesis-based MS degree, or non-thesis MBS degree
• Ability to switch between MS and MBS
• Opportunity to take medical or dental school courses with students from NJMS or RSDM (limited enrollment)
• Personal academic and career advising
• Courses taught by medical, dental and graduate faculty of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and by pharmaceutical company scientists
• Part-time enrollment available, with many evening courses in core subjects
• Can complete master's degree by transferring back up to 6 credits from subsequent medical or dental school enrollment (currently not supported by RSDM)
• Students obtain laboratory research experience with medical or dental school faculty
If you wish to start in the Fall semester, the application deadline is June 30th of that year.
If you wish to start in the Spring semester, the application deadline is November 15th of the preceding year.
Open House, October 10, 2019 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. For students interested in starting the program in Spring or Fall 2020.