header("Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"); ?>
For some students, deciding whether to enter a clinical educational program or to commit to a lengthy Ph.D. program in biomedical sciences is often difficult and made with limited knowledge. Other students may be committed to a career in medicine or dentistry but have undergraduate academic records that are inadequate for acceptance into professional school. In addition, some careers in health related professions, including in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries, may require further training beyond the bachelor's level. To meet the educational needs of these groups of students, we have designed two Master's degree programs in biomedical sciences that have flexible curricula and build on the existing strengths of basic and clinical faculty in the New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) and Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM). Both degrees include a 2-credit laboratory rotation. An important feature of these degree programs is the ability to complete the program in one year, or to follow a less intense curriculum over 3-4 semesters or even longer on a part-time basis. Download the Master's programs brochure here.
Master of Science in Biomedical Science (MS), which requires a 5-credit research thesis. Apply here
Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS), which is predominantly based on coursework. Apply here
If you have any questions regarding the application process or your supporting documents, please email us or call our Newark Health Science Campus office on 9739724511. Also please read the Before You Apply and Application FAQs.
Concentrations/Tracks within the Master’s Degree
Academic Concentrations within the Master’s Degree
Master’s students at the SGS-Newark Health Science Campus can obtain one of the following concentrations by completing the curriculum indicated under the corresponding link.
Advantages of the GSBS-Newark Master's Programs
• Thesis-based MS degree, or non-thesis MBS degree
• Ability to switch between MS and MBS
• Opportunity to take medical or dental school courses with students from NJMS or RSDM (limited enrollment)
• Personal academic and career advising
• Courses taught by medical, dental and graduate faculty of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and by pharmaceutical company scientists
• Part-time enrollment available, with many evening courses in core subjects
• Can complete master's degree by transferring back up to 6 credits from subsequent medical or dental school enrollment (currently not supported by RSDM)
• Students obtain laboratory research experience with medical or dental school faculty
Documents that cannot be directly typed or uploaded onto the application portal (eg. transcripts, standardized scores and some references),
please send them or have them sent to:
Graduate & Professional Admissions
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
56 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
If you wish to start in the Fall semester, the application deadline is June 30th of that year.
If you wish to start in the Spring semester, the application deadline is November 15th of the preceding year.
Master's program Open House, May 22, 2019 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. More information and registration here.