INSTRUCTIONS FOR REFERRING HOSPITALS
1. Muscle and nerve biopsies must be scheduled with at least 24 hours advance
notice. Biopsies should be received from 9 AM to 2 PM on Monday through
Wednesday, excluding holidays. Please speak to someone in the lab directly,
to get a confirmation.
2. A muscle biopsy should measure at least 2.5 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm and should not
be tied to any object. A nerve biopsy should be at least 3 cm long. (Please
refer to our protocols for details.) The specimen must be wrapped in saline
moistened gauze (never floating) and placed in a small container labeled with
the surgical pathology number and the patient's name. The container must be
submerged in ice (NOT DRY ICE) and placed in an insulated container. It must
be delivered within one hour of the time of biopsy.
3. Previously frozen or formalin-fixed muscle or nerve will be accepted, with
prior approval, at the Neuropathologist’s discretion.
4. The patient's clinical history must be attached. If detailed information
is not available, the name and telephone number of the patient's private physician
must be given.
5. All bills will be directed from this laboratory to the referring hospital
laboratory. We cannot bill patients directly.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COURIERS
The specimen (a perishable item) must be rushed and hand
delivered to one of the technicians at the following address:
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Medical Science Building
Department of Pathology, Division of Neuropathology, Room C525
(one flight above the lobby level)
185 South Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ 07103-2757
Phone: (973) 972-7167