Award of Degree ProceduresThe links below bring you to the procedures for your specific program. If you have questions you may contact the SGS Student Affairs office or the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
Contact Nadine Rose in the Student Affairs office:
Graduation Procedure for PhD students
If you have questions you may contact the SGS (Newark Health Science Campus) Student Affairs office or the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
For Nadine Rose in the Student Affairs office:
Rutgers School of Graduate Studies
185 South Orange Avenue, Room C696
Newark, NJ 07101
Phone: (973) 972-4511
Fax: (973) 972-7148
Friday, May 10, 2024
3:30 p.m. | Jersey Mike's Arena
Please check back soon for the Convocation program hyperlink
- Graduates should arrive by 3:00 PM the latest. The celebration will begin promptly at 3:30 PM.
- Jersey Mike's arena is located on Livingston Campus, directions can be found here.
- Graduates who earned their degrees in either October 2023, January 2024, or May 2024 are eligible to attend.
- For May 2024 candidates, inclusion in the Convocation ceremony/Convocation Program Booklet should not be construed as verification of graduation.
- All graduates will cross the stage, have their name called and be congratulated. Ph.D. graduates will also be hooded.
- Given the great interest in our Convocation ceremony please limit the number of you guests to four. Note: We are anticipating tickets to be obtained for this event. Please keep checking the website for more information.
- Guests who cannot come to campus will be able to view the ceremony through our live stream. See below for the link.
Academic Regalia for the 2024 Commencement and Convocation ceremonies is available for purchase beginning Monday, January 23. Purchase online through https://rutgersnb1.shopoakhalli.com/purchasewizard/Welcome. Order now through February 29th to receive an early bird discount.
Online orders offer these delivery options:
- Ship to store for no extra charge. Must order for ship to store by February 29 for pick up at Barnes & Noble starting April 4.
- Ship to home for an additional delivery charge. Deadline to order with ship to home option is March 31.
Purchase regalia in-store OR pick up online orders at Barnes & Noble on Somerset Street beginning April 4.
Grad Fair will be held at Barnes & Noble on April 4 & 5 from 10am-6pm.
Join in the festivities, come for a complimentary professional headshot, and meet with representatives for purchasing class rings, diploma frames, personalized announcements and more!
Information for Faculty
Faculty who are hooding their student should review the Instructions for Advisors Hooding Graduates.
Faculty who are not hooding graduates and wish to participate in the processional should wear regalia and arrive at the Jersey Mike’s Arena by 2:300 p.m. Please proceed to the marshaling area for master’s graduates and join the line with other faculty.
Given the great interest in our Convocation ceremony please limit the number of your guests to four.
For graduates who have guests coming from abroad and need a letter to accompany their visa application, visit the Rutgers Global guide here. Instructions on obtaining a graduation invitation letter are part of the guide.
Check back for a PDF version of our Invite to send to guests
American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters will be on stage during the ceremony.
There is no need to register for parking the day of our ceremony. Parking is free and readily available.
As you approach the Jersey Mike's Arena from Suttons Lane or Avenue E, parking attendants will direct you to nearby parking.
Accessible parking is available in the Green and Yellow Lots. Accessible spaces are in the Green Lot alongside Jersey Mike's Arena. A ramp to walk to the arena is close to the accessible parking spots.
The School of Graduate Studies has partnered with Pro Pics to take professional portraits of all graduates during the ceremony. Photos will be available for purchase after the ceremony. There is no cost to have your photo taken and no obligation to purchase. If you would like to receive your photo proofs, please go to www.RutgersPhotos.com to submit your information. If you have any questions please contact Pro Pics at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Jersey Mike's Arena is accessible so everyone can enjoy the event. Special needs seating is available on a first come first served basis. It is located on the main concourse when entering the arena. Please also note, special needs seating is limited only allowing one additional person to sit with a guest seated in that section.
The 2024 Convocation will be livestreamed.