School of Graduate Studies Convocation 2023
The School of Graduate Studies is finalizing plans for the May 12, 2023 ceremony at the Jersey Mike's Arena on the Livingston Campus. All students with an August 2022, October 2022, January 2023 or May 2023 award of degree are invited to participate. Ph.D. Students with an award of degree date of August 2022 are also eligible to participate. Check back for more details coming soon.
If you have questions and your program is located on the Rutgers-Newark Health Science Campus, please contact email@example.com
To receive your degree, you must complete all of the program requirements and have the appropriate GPA (3.00). All course work must be completed and grades submitted to the SGS-Newark Registrar. A completed thesis must be handed in to the SGS Student Affairs office with final approval (4 copies).
Award of Degree Procedures
The links below bring you to the procedures for your specific program. If you have questions you may contact the SGS Student Affairs office or the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
Contact Nadine Stevens in the Student Affairs office:
Graduation Procedure for PhD students
If you have questions you may contact the SGS (Newark Health Science Campus) Student Affairs office or the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
For Nadine Rose in the Student Affairs office:
Rutgers School of Graduate Studies
185 South Orange Avenue, Room C696
Newark, NJ 07101
Phone: (973) 972-4511
Fax: (973) 972-7148
2023 Convocation and commencement ceremony. Please see the link below to on how to order parking hangtags, attire and where the ceremonies will take place. When ordering attire please make sure you choose.
Covid -19 In-Venue Protocols for School of Graduate Studies Convocation, May 12, 2023, 10:00 a.m.
To enter the arena, everyone must provide:
· Proof of full vaccination* or proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of the event will be required for entry to all indoor events (for all individuals above the age of five).
· Verification of vaccination or negative test result must be accompanied by a valid ID.
Masking is no longer required for indoor public event, which includes inside Jersey Mike’s Arena
* To ensure adequate time for an immune response to occur, a person is considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after completion of a two-dose mRNA series or one dose of Janssen vaccine.
Convocation | Friday, May 12, 2023, at 10:00AM
Graduates should arrive by 9:15 AM. The celebration will begin at 10:00 AM.
The convocation Convocation will recognize the degree attainment of those SGS candidates who earned their degrees in October 2022, January 2023, and May 2023.
All candidates will access the stage and have their name called. Ph.D. candidates will be hooded by their adviser or our designated hooder.
Information regarding University Commencement, Sunday, May 14, 2023.
*Given the changing nature of Covid-19, please check this page often to learn if there are any changes related to this event including requirements for entry to the arena and whether a ticketing system will be implemented*
Academic regalia is required to participate in the convocation. You can purchase your regalia online:
- Generic master's & doctoral regalia (NB/Piscataway)
- Click on Master Package or Doctoral Package, then complete package and degree.
- Biomedical Sciences –MS/MBS
- Biomedical Sciences-Ph.D.
- Order online now thru March 4 to be delivered in store with no delivery charge.
- Want to have it shipped to you? Order online now thru April 22 with the ship to home option. Delivery charge will apply.
- Purchase in store at the Barnes and Noble Somerset Street location beginning April 6. (No in-person purchase option for RBHS.)
- Grad Fair will be held at Barnes and Noble in New Brunswick on April 6 &7 from 10am-6pm. Visit with representatives and see the selection of class rings, personalized announcements, diploma frames, and much more!
As you approach the Jersey Mike's Arena from Suttons Lane or Avenue E, parking attendants will direct you to nearby parking.
Handicapped parking is available in the Green and Yellow Lots. There are handicapped spaces in the Green Lot alongside the Jersey Mike's Arena and a ramp to walk down to the arena. You can also drop off guests in the circle in front of the Jersey Mike's Arena if necessary, but the driver will then have to go park the car.
You are welcome to bring guests, no tickets or registration are required at this time. Please check back for more information in early spring.
Our convocation will be livestreamed.
Information for Ph.D. Candidates
All doctoral candidates should review the:
Information for Master's Candidates
All master's candidates should review the Instructions for Master's Students.
Information for Faculty
Faculty who are hooding students should review the Instructions for Advisors Hooding Candidates.
Faculty who are not hooding candidates and wish to participate in the processional should wear regalia and arrive at the Jersey Mike’s Arena by 9:30 a.m. Please proceed to the marshaling area for master’s candidates and join the line with other faculty.
Masks, Distancing, & Covid Protocols
We will be following all state and university safety guidelines during this event. As of now, that means everyone must wear a mask, so be sure to bring yours. We will call your name and you will walk across the stage, but there will be no hand shaking on stage.
Other Logistics at the Jersey Mike's Arena
Please limit the bags you and your guests bring to the event. Security officers will examine all bags prior to entry to the facility.
The concession stands will be open in the arena.
A photographer will take photos of everyone who walks across the stage. The vendor we are using is GradImages. Please check back for more information.
The Jersey Mike's Arena is accessible so everyone can enjoy the event.
If you are a graduate with an accessibility issue, please contact Barbara Sirman.