How many credits is the Masters program?
The program is 30 credits. Of the 30 credits, 9 credits are required courses, and the remainder 21 credits are elective courses. Students meet with the advisor to plan a course schedule that best fit their career goals, graduation timeline, and strengths.
What is the deadline to apply?
For students who wish to join the program in fall 2023, the application deadline is July 31, 2023. Please note, all application materials including letters of recommendation should be received by July 31. Since the Master's program offers admission on a rolling basis and Accepted Students Meetings and Tours are organized from May through July, we encourage you to apply early. For students who wish to join the program in spring 2024, the application deadline has been extended to December 15, 2023.
Is there a minimum GPA to apply?
There is no minimum GPA for application to our program. We look at the following elements together: GPA, test scores, letter of recommendation, and personal statement. Applicants are admitted based on the overall strength of the application.
Can I apply with unofficial transcripts?
Yes, you can apply with unofficial transcripts and your application will be reviewed. However, official transcripts are need prior to matriculation i.e. before you start the program.
If I have questions regarding the application, whom should I contact? SGS Newark Health Science Campus or the University-wide Graduate and Professional Admissions department?
You should contact our office and we will work with you in resolving your questions. Our email is email@example.com. Please send us a detailed email regarding your issue. If your issue is not resolved over email, you can call us on 973-972-4511.
What test scores are needed?
- For fall 2023 semester
GRE/MCAT/DAT test scores are no longer needed for the application.
- TOEFL/IELTS: typically required of all foreign applicants, please read more here.
Is GRE required to apply?
Yes, GRE is required. However, if you have previously taken the MCAT, DAT, or National Boards Part 1, we will accept those score reports as well. We do not encourage students to take the MCAT or DAT, simply to apply to our program.
Can I apply now and submit my GRE test scores later?
Yes, you can start your application and upload your test scores when they become available. However, the applications will stay in the portal and will be only reviewed after the scores are uploaded.
When will my application be reviewed?
Applications are available for review only after they are complete. A complete application consists of the filled online application, personal statement, unofficial or official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and test scores.
How can I make my application stronger?
You can make your application stronger by focusing on your personal statement. The personal statement should highlight your motivation to join the program. The personal statement should also include your vision of how this program will help you achieve your goals e.g., obtain research experience, take medical or dental school courses, learn more about the biopharma industry, etc. In addition, we recommend you address any past shortcomings e.g., low GPA, low test scores, break in education, etc. You can also add a resume to the application.
What are your guidelines for letters of recommendation?
• We require at least two letters of recommendation.
• Letters of recommendation can be written directly in the application portal.
• Letters of recommendation from dossier services like interfolio need an email address to submit the letters of recommendation. For this purpose, applicants can use the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For letters of recommendation that are uploaded to the application portal, the letters must be on the official letterhead, the letters must be dated and signed.
• We accept committee letters. Committee letters can be emailed to email@example.com
• For medical and dental scholars, we prefer letters of recommendation from academic instructors, who have direct knowledge of the applicant's academic performance.
• For biomedical scholars, the same as above applies. If the biomedical scholar application is currently working in biopharma industry, letters of recommendation from work will be accepted.
Will I be notified if my letters of recommendation are received?
Applicants are able to check whether or not the letters of recommendation are uploaded by logging into the application portal.
What are my housing options in the area around the Newark Health Science Campus?
Please visit this website to learn more about on-campus and off-campus housing.
If I am currently enrolled in one of the Certificate programs, can I transfer into the Masters program?
We typically do not transfer students from the Certificate program to the Master program. You would have to submit an application and be accepted.