Research and Publications
Rheumatology Fellowship Program
Research and Publications
All fellows are required to participate in a research project that spans the duration of training. Fellows initially choose a research mentor and then either join an ongoing study or create their own. We encourage interdisciplinary research that takes advantage of the extensive research resources available at Rutgers in both the clinical and Biomedical health services departments. Fellows typically present their findings at regional and/or national meetings, and are encouraged to publish in peer-reviewed journals.
Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology Division clinical faculty and Rutgers Biomedical Health Sciences (RBHS) faculty are dedicated to understanding pathways responsible for autoimmune, inflammatory and allergic diseases. Numerous clinical and translational projects are available. Individual areas of focus include mechanisms of B cell mediated immunity in SLE through Dr. Jason Weinstein, increasing penicillin stewardship.
2020-2021 abstracts and publications in Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology
- Browne V., Choi C., Capitle E., Khianey R. A Case of Severe Refractory Pemphigus Vulgaris in a Patient with Stable Esophageal Malignancy. (April 20, 2021) A Case of Severe Refractory Pemphigus Vulgaris in a Patient With Stable Esophageal Malignancy. Cureus 13(4): e14576. doi:10.7759/cureus.14576
- Abbassi S, Capitle E, Trivedi R, Wolff AH; Obesity is Associated with an Increased of Penicillin Allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2021 Feb 126(2):197-199
- Neumann M, Quintero J, Shi T, Capitle EM. Cureus 2021Jan 29;13 (1):e12996
- Quintero JA, Attah R, Khianey R, Capitle E, Schutzer SE. Arthritis and Diagnostics in Lyme Disease. Trop Med Infect Dis. 2021 Jan 29;6(1)18
- Malangu B, Quintero JA, Capitle EM; Adult Inflammatory Multi-System Syndrome Mimicking Kawasaki Disease in a Patient with COVID -19. Cureus 2020 Nov 28 12(11):e 11750.
- Song S., Saurav De, Nelson V, Thompson C, Sun S, He M, Li D, Shih T, Al-Abed Y, Capitle E, Aranow C, Mackay M, Clapp W,Barnes B; Inhibition of IRF5 Hyperactivation Protects from Lupus Onset and severity. J Clin Invest. 2020 Dec 1;130(12)6700-6717
- Penumarty S. Capitle E, Khianey R. Rituximab hypersensitivity testing in Autoimmune patients. American College of Rheumatology Convergence 2020. Abstract # 1578.
- Penumarty S., Tuong L., Khianey R, Oppenheimer J.. Metal Hypersensitivity in Total Joint Arthroplasties. Ann Allergy, Asthma Immunol. 2020 Jun; 124(6); 546-547. PMID: 32113904.
- Venkateswaran N. Generoso A. Khianey R. Stevens Johnson syndrome in a patient with giant cell arteritis during short term Tocilizumab therapy. Cereus. 2020 Apr; 12(4); e7662. PMID 32411563
Current research includes
- Multicenter, Randomized , Double Blind , Placebo Controlled, Phase 3 Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Subcutaneous Anifrolumab in Adult Patients with Systemic Lupus erythematosus. (TULIP SC).
- Rituximab Hypersensitivity in Rheumatic and Inflammatory Diseases: Role of Skin Testing
- Allergy and rheumatology Biorepository.
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Penicillin Allergy QA/QI.
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Screening for Tuberculosis in Patients with Autoimmune Diseases in Newark NJ. Protocol
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Lupus Disease Activity and Nutritional Intake. Protocol
The Rheumatology faculty and fellows are also involved in various ongoing QA/ QI projects. It is required for fellows as part of the ACGME Rheumatology Requirement to participate in at least one supervised QI/QA project during their training. As physicians, we always strive to improve the quality of care we deliver and QA/QI is a crucial skill and a learning experience for trainees.
Structure of the Project; Defined timelines
- Develop a QA/ QI project proposal
- Implement a QA/ QI project
- Collect and analyze data
- It is expected that the results will be presented at a local or national meeting and prepared for publication.