New Jersey Medical School
Visiting Students: Initiating Opportunities and Networking
At Rutgers NJMS and University Hospital Newark, we are committed to developing individuals underrepresented in medicine (URiM), as well as championing equity, social justice, community service, and humanism in everything that we do. Specifically, our goal is to offer a program that supports the needs and growth of students from groups that have traditionally been underrepresented in medicine and who have the capacity to care for populations similar to our community, which is over 50% African American, over 35% Hispanic, and approximately 8% Portuguese speaking.
To facilitate participation in the program, eligible participants will be granted up to $2000 in reimbursement to defray travel, housing and living expenses during a sub-internship at our school. The program is available for select senior medical students from a group that is underrepresented in medicine as defined by the AAMC based on our institutional mission driven strategies which encompasses the community we serve or decreased representation in the respective specialty such as women interested in Orthopaedic Surgery.
As part of the program, students will receive career advising including preparation for academic medicine pathway, an interview for our residency program, and a letter of evaluation. Finally, the visiting scholar will have a chance to stay and work in the vibrant and diverse city of Newark, with a recently revitalized downtown area, world-class food and culture (including the famous Ironbound District), easy access to the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan, and to extraordinary hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities.
To apply for the grant, please follow the link https://rutgers.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4MjTkKEbvuZcsVE
Visiting elective options are limited to the following programs at this time:
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The application process is open from March 13 – April 14, 2024 of the third year of medical school
- There is no application fee.
- The 4-week electives will take place during the following blocks: July 1 – July 26, 2024; July 29 – August 23, 2024; August 26 – September 20, 2024 and September 23 – October 18, 2024 of the fourth year of medical school. Students must adhere to our block dates.
- Students must have completed their required core clerkships before starting the program rotation.
- All accepted students may receive funding up to $2,000 as a stipend to defray living expenses.
- Students have the opportunity to network with residency program directors, residents, faculty, and students, and have access to departmental grand rounds, seminars and workshops.
- NOTE - Dates offered for each department are accessible via VSLO catalog.
Application Process and Requirements
Electronic applications will be accepted from March 13 – April 14, 2024 of the third year of medical school. Please send all required application materials via e-mail to appropriate individuals (based on specialty)
Students should also submit an application through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) system. URiM ViSION will not cover any fees associated with the VSLO process or pre-elective clearance. Please note the Rutgers NJMS System will open March 13, 2024
Please submit the following materials via email:
- Application (please visit the link above)
- Official Transcripts – Transcripts should be original. The transcript should include all the courses/clerkships taken in medical school, and the grades awarded. All required core clerkships must be completed before starting the URiM ViSION Program.
- USMLE Step 1 score and USMLE Step 2 scores if available
- One letter of recommendation from a Dean at your home institution
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member at your home institution who is in the specialty to which you are applying for in URiM ViSION
- Recent Photo
- Program Essay: Please answer all of the following questions keeping in mind the specialty you are applying to:
- Describe how your perspective as an URiM member can help drive academic excellence (clinical, service, educational and/or research) at NJMS/UH. Consider how you have supported or led efforts to promote better health outcomes, or efforts you could envision leading in the future. (<400 words)
- Describe at least one example of how, through (X) practice, you will be able to address a unique health issue or disparity of patients similar to those represented in our community. (<400 words)
- Describe the impact a role model has had on you, and how you hope to be a role model for others in the future. (<400 words)
Students should also submit an application through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) system. URiM ViSION will not cover any fees associated with the VSLO process or pre-elective clearance. Please note the Rutgers NJMS System will open March 8, 2023
Please adhere to the application guidelines. Otherwise, your application may not be considered.
We look forward to receiving your application.
For more information, please contact us at: